A Caregiver’s Guide: Plan for Success
- by Paul L.
- October 29, 2018
Paul is a paid Advocate for Teva Neuroscience, Inc.
This is a milestone year for my family. My wife celebrated 25 years since her relapsing MS (RMS) diagnosis. It has been a journey of highs and lows, but we have done it together. As they say, this is not a sprint, it’s a marathon, and we decided a long time ago to do it together as a team.
It was 1998 when the National Multiple Sclerosis Society released their disease management consensus statement advising those living with relapsing MS (RMS) to start an MS therapy as soon as possible.
My wife and I took that advice to heart and she started COPAXONE® (glatiramer acetate injection). Now, we have a plan for success–one that ensures she stays committed to a successful therapy management plan.
- We created a schedule/calendar which helps us remember when she needs to take her medicine.
- When she takes her medicine, she does it at the same time of day – which creates a pattern for us, helping us to remember.
- We plan ahead when traveling for work or vacations. We make sure we can refrigerate her medicine and be available when it’s time for her to take her treatment.
- I help by taking her medicine out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before her treatment, allowing it to get to room temperature.
- I help administer her treatment when there are hard-to-reach places on her body.
- We request nurse training or call Teva’s Shared Solutions® at 1-800-887-8100 if we need support.
I believe having a system is the key to successfully managing RMS as a team. I know that back when my wife first started therapy, we had a plan every day to remind us about her medicine and keep us on track. All these years later, we still work together to make sure we stay compliant with each dose.
Receive more blogs like this one in your inbox by registering for updates.
More posts you might like
Get the latest posts
and resources from Teva's Lift MS®.
Lourdes Rodriguez | November 13, 2018I need more information
Teva's Lift MS® Team | November 14, 2018You can learn more about RMS by visiting https://www.copaxone.com/about-relapsing-ms/what-is-relapsing-multiple-sclerosis, Lourdes, or by talking with your health care provider if you have specific questions. We wish you the best.
Wendy | November 13, 2018Hi! My husband was diagnosed with ms about 23 years ago. My oldest son was diagnosed 9 years ago, and my youngest son was diagnosed 4 years ago. I am looking for any advice and support concerning the care of ms. They all have the same aggressive form of ms. My husband is bed bound and both of my boys are having to use a cane. I sometimes feel overwhelmed and need advice. Thanks!
Teva's Lift MS® Team | November 14, 2018Care Partners need support, too, Wendy. Please stop by whenever you need a lift in your day. We wish you all the best!
CT Quick | November 19, 2018Please send more caregiver information.
Teva's Lift MS® Team | November 20, 2018Thanks for your comment, CT. You might find this blog post helpful: https://liftms.com/motivation/caregiver-day.
Dorisa | November 25, 2018God. Bless
Vbonnett@yahoocom | December 29, 2018Thank You