5 Tips to Stay Committed to Your RMS Therapy
- by Cristina G.
- July 16, 2018
Cristina G. is a paid employee of Teva Neuroscience, Inc.
Whether you are newly diagnosed or have been living with RMS for many years, starting and staying on your prescribed multiple sclerosis therapy is essential. Working with your physician to determine the appropriate therapy that meets your needs is the first step toward being your own advocate. Equipping yourself with the tools, resources and motivation to stay committed will keep you on track to reach your treatment goals. It may seem overwhelming and challenging at times, but you can do it! Here are 5 tips to help you stay on track with your RMS therapy:
- Be an Active Partner. Don’t take a back seat when it comes to your health care decisions. Participating and partnering with your health care team allows you to be involved in the process and gives you a sense of empowerment. Proactively discuss questions, concerns and treatment goals with your health care team. Be a part of your treatment plan and communicate your successes and challenges. Your observation of any new or changing symptoms is an important part of determining treatment efficacy. If you are experiencing side effects to a medication or having difficulty taking your medication as prescribed, discuss this with your health care provider.
- Utilize Medication Support Services. Take advantage of the support and education available for your therapy. Many RMS therapies offer telephone-based support for medication questions, insurance coverage, financial assistance and more. Some may even provide therapy-specific tools and in-home nursing support to help you learn new strategies to stay on track with your medication. If you are taking COPAXONE® (glatiramer acetate injection), Teva’s Shared Solutions® might be a great resource for you. Call 1-800-887-8100 or register online today!
- Go Digital. There are apps and web-based tools that can make staying on track with your relapsing MS medication easy and fun. These interactive platforms offer a great way to stay committed to therapy with both convenience and discretion at your fingertips. Some of the features that can make a huge difference include tracking of your medication schedule, reminder alarms, and the ability to share journal entries with your health care provider. Others, like the COPAXONE iTracker®, help you track your injections when on the go.
- Include Your Family and Friends. Creating your MS support team and sharing your story can be very empowering. Many people find that through these relationships, they gain strength and support. Encourage your family and friends to attend local advocacy and educational events. If you can’t find something in your area, try one of Teva’s teleconferences. These are great opportunities to connect with others and to advance MS awareness and understanding.
- Stay Motivated. We all experience days that can be challenging with MS. Focusing on what matters and maintaining a positive outlook can give you back control and help get you on track with your treatment goals. Join a local MS support group or start one if you can’t find any in your area. Chances are there are other people living with MS that could benefit, too! You can also join Teva’s Lift MS® Facebook community to connect with others who understand what you’re going through. Stay committed to a therapy, but don’t be afraid to talk with your doctor about any changes you may experience.
No two people will have the same MS experience. Therefore, finding the right support tools and resources are key to keeping you motivated and committed.
Sign up today to have blog posts like this sent to your inbox.
Cristina G. RN, BSN, MSCN
Shared Solutions® Clinical Nurse Educator
About The Author
Cristina G. RN, BSN, MSCN is a MS-Certified Nurse who works at Teva’s Shared Solutions®. She has specialized in multiple sclerosis for four years and has 15 years of nursing experience.
More posts you might like
Get the latest posts
and resources from Teva's Lift MS®.
Charles Liedtke | February 28, 2018If would REALLY help if I could get some REAL help in affording Teva's Copaxone. I can only manage about 6 months before financial assistance runs out.
So much for staying "on track"!!!!!+
Teva's Lift MS® Team | April 02, 2018Thank you for your comment, Charles. Teva is committed to helping patients find affordable access to COPAXONE®. Please contact a Shared Solutions® Benefits Specialist to discuss COPAXONE Co-Pay Solutions® by calling 1-800-887-8100 or visit https://www.copaxone.com/shared-solutions/copaxone-savings-and-benefits to learn more.
Tonja Paige | March 11, 2018I need to stay motivated having very hard time with that
Teva's Lift MS® Team | March 12, 2018We wish you the best, Tonja.